12826847

My sons photocard driving licence expired 4 years ago but

Customer Question

My son's photocard driving licence expired 4 years ago but it was not noticed until last week. He notified the DVLA of his new address when he moved nearly 5 years ago but didn't notice that it only had about 6 months before it expired.
How does he go about renewing his photocard licence. I know he will probably have to pay a £1000 fine but this is the least of his worries. He never received a renewal notice 4 years ago and hasn't had any driving convictions.
Please could you let me know what needs to be done. He is away on holiday with his family at the moment and I wanted to do some exploratory work first.

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Has he been driving since his licence expired please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, but had no idea it had expired. He's 43 and passed his test when he was 17. Has never had any convictions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What else do you need to know. I have already replied to your previous question. Yes, he has been driving since it expired.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can you pleased tell me where is your response to my original question?

The reason you are experiencing delay is that you keep posting before I have responded which pushes your question to the back of my list.

Have they caught him driving whilst expired?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No. He went to pick up a hire car in Italy and they found that his licence was out of date. He has hired 4 cars over the last 4 years but it had never been brought to his attention. If he had been convicted of anything, the policed would have noticed.

I wouldn't worry about that. They have no evidence that he has been driving and will not look for any. It would only be an issue if he were actually stopped in the driver's seat.

If his photocard is expired then the DVLA may have revoked his licence.

All he needs to do is apply for a renewal licence here

https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence

The fact that his licence has expired is not a bar.

It is possible that the DVLA will prosecute him for failing to renew but its not actually all that common and that only leads to a financial penalty.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much for your help. That was £33 well spent but I do not need this service on a subscription basis. The reason I contacted you was because I was getting nowhere with the DVLA!!!

Yes, I well remember what the DVLA are like!

You need to email customer services at info@justanswer.com about your subscription.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will email customer services as you suggest re my subscription. I have already turned the "off" button on the subscription page.

Many thanks for your help.

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Many apologies if you saw me going back onto your Q&A page. I was just going through my emails and saw the JustAnswer item again. I'm new to this way of questions and answers! I will most certainly make a note of your website in case of need for the future.

Sorry for clicking back onto your answers again.

Jackie

No problem.

All the best.