75100385

We have bought our daughters wedding dress from a bridal shop

We have bought our daughters wedding dress from a bridal shop on our first visit the dress she chose was all wrinkled around the bodice we asked if they were all like that and were told it was a fault with the sample dress being tried on so many times the new one would be ok we ordered the dress when it came it was wrinkled like the sample dress they said we would have to pay for it and they would have their seamstress look at it on 3rd app the seamstress said she could not do any thing it should be sent back.they sent itback to manufacturers 3 weeks later it came back worse ,by this time my daughter was in tears and said she didn't want the dress they asked us to come again and see if there was another dress she liked she did And didn't like Any of the dresses. the owner has just come back from holiday we have a meeting tomorrow would I be within my rights to ask for a full refund they say they will try and get another dress sent up but my daughter is so unhappy she doesn't want the dress now sorry it's a saga please advise
Thanks Doreen Thompson

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

What is the cost of the dress please Doreen?

Alex Watts :

How did you pay for the dress?

Customer: The dress and accessories came to £950 approx
Customer: The dress cost £950 approx
Customer: Paid by visa debit £950 approx
Alex Watts :

Thanks. I assume they do not dispute the fact that the wrinkling was not wanted and they said it was because the sample had been worn so many times?

Customer: Yes the ladies at the shop all agreed it was not right but would try and get a new one of the same as the wedding is 9weeks away we are in deep concern my daughter does not want the dress and is upset
Alex Watts :

Yes of course.

Alex Watts :

In that case you have a right to full refund under the Sale of Goods Act.

Alex Watts :

This is because the fact they said it does not come wrinkled is a description of the goods.

Alex Watts :

Therefore the goods are not as described.

Alex Watts :

That means under the Act you are entitled to a full refund.

Alex Watts :

If they refuse then you can take the following steps

Alex Watts :

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this recorded delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n001-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. As the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.

Customer: They sales lady has said we might get our money back on the dress but not the underskirt or tiara or veil all bought
Alex Watts :

If you purchased it all together as part of a package you are entitled to return the whole lot.

Alex Watts :

Ordinarily it would be just the dress, but as I said, if it was a complete package, you should get the whole lot back

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything else for you?

Alex Watts :

If not could I invite you to rate my service, if the system wont let you, please do let me know

Alex Watts :

If you need more help please click reply.

Customer: No thank you Alex you have been a great help
Customer: Many thanks from one happy Mother of the Bride
Alex Watts :

I am glad to be able to help.

Alex Watts :

Please do remember to rate before you go today - thanks

Customer: Excellent service well done
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Try and rate now please!