Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

The Turkish Criminal Court of Peace have written to the Competent

The Turkish Criminal Court of Peace have written to the Competent Authority of the United Kingdom seeking judicial assistance in serving its decision to an incident that occurred in September 2009.

The trial was conducted in Bodrum, Turkey and its decision was made on December 2013 based only on statement given at law enforcement office. A paper copy of the actual statement was not provided.

My questions are:
a) who are the Competent Authority in United Kingdom. How do I approach them. Could you provide the name and address of this Competent Authority of United Kingdom.

b) a list of solicitors/lawyers preferably in north west London
willing to offer advice and represent me.

c) the letter received stated “the announcement of the verdict delivered shall be deferred”. What does this mean.

d) the verdict also stated ”the accused shall be on probation for 5 years and the deferred verdict shall be annulled and the case cancelled if the accused does not re-offend”.
d1) When does the probation period start - is it from the date of the offence ie September 2009 or is it from the date of decision ie December 2013.
d2) Does annulled and cancelled imply that this offence is now off the records.
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
My name isXXXXX and I'm happy to help with your question today. I need to ask you some preliminary questions to be able to help you.

Are you presently in the UK? Were you present in Turkey when the decision was made?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I am in UK. No I was not present when the decision was made

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.

To answer your questions:

a) These requests are usually handled by the Judicial Co-operation Unit, Home Office, 5th Floor Fry Building,XXXXX London SW1P 4DF which is part of the Home Office;

b) Solicitors you should consider are Hodge Jones and Allen; Levenes or BSB Solicitors. You can get a more extensive list from the Law Society www.lawsociety.org.uk

c) d)d1)d2) - Without looking at the entire document its impossible to say what the meaning is of the words that you've highlighted. But in general terms it appears the Turkish Court has imposed a sentence and what they are asking the UK authority to do is to serve you with the documents - there is no legal power for a sentence of probation imposed by a Turkish Court to be carried out in the UK. It also seems to be saying that if you stay out of trouble for 5 years that will be the end of the matter.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What is your reply in respect of paragraph D1

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
The order would start on the date of the decision in December 2013.