UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

My mother died three years ago. My sister died shortly after

My mother died three years ago. My sister died shortly after her. In her Will, my mother asked for all of her assets to be split equally between her three children (my brother, my sister and myself). I am the Executor of my mothers Will.

In my sisters Will she asked that all her assets are split equally between her two daughters. I am not the Executor of her estate, this role is undertaken by my late sisters husband.

My late sisters husband has asked to see a copy of my mothers Will to ensure that he is not entitled to any assets and that he has been treated properly.

As Executor of my mothers will, am I legally obliged to give him a copy of her Will, given that he is not a beneficiary?

Thank you for your assistance.

Kind regards XXXXX XXXXX
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

No, you are not legally obliged to give him a copy of your late mother's will but you may do so if you wish.

A Will becomes a public document once probate is granted so he may obtain a copy of the Will from the probate registry if probate has been granted.

Can I help further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for prompt and very clear answer.

Probate has been granted and I understand that the Will is now a public document. For my brother in law to get a copy, I believe that he needs to provide my mothers full name, her date of death, and her full address. He lives in Spain and may not have all this information. Am I obliged to provide it to him?

No you are not so obliged.

All the best
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. Great service. Much appreciated.