75100385

Hi, the basement flat switched off the mains supply to the

Hi, the basement flat switched off the mains supply to the building without warning. They said that it was a mistake. I was then unable to work, cook food, shower or have access to drinking water for 7 hours. I had to make plans to vacate the building and move else where. There was no managing agent, so I called the water authorities myself.

I decided to shower in the gym. On my way out I noticed a bath and sink outside the base ment flat. I went to enquire and discovered builders. I informed them of the situation and when i returned, the water was back on.

Can I claim here ? It was quite distressing to divert my energies to this situation. I had to drop the "work" that I was doing. I had to take on the "role" of an agent.

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : What losses did you suffer please?
Alex Watts : Did you have to eat out?
Customer:

yes, I had to eat locally.

Customer:

I also lost about 7 hours work. I am self employed. It's difficult to quantify the loss beyond the hours as I am developing a project spectulatively. It was a very stressfull situation and traumatic, as I started to make plans to vacate my flat. On a seperate note, the other 3 tenanted flats enjoyed continuity due to my intervention.

Alex Watts : You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
Alex Watts : If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n001-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.
Alex Watts : The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
Alex Watts : If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer:

ok, but can i claim for "time" and "distress" ?

Alex Watts : You could but it would be very nominal for only 7 hours.
Alex Watts : Does that clarify the position?
Customer:

yes, but how much should i claim ?

Customer:

i was thinking a £800

Alex Watts : Less than £100
Alex Watts : You can't quantify over £100 an hour
Customer:

Ok, so some for time, some for distress....bit of guess work ?

Alex Watts : Less than £100 in my view.
Customer:

ok £100......its more principle that amount !

Alex Watts : someone who has been injured in an accident for whiplash would only get £500 for a week.
Customer:

ok i see now

Alex Watts : So £100 is more than enough for 7 hours.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything else?
Customer:

how about factoring

Customer:

location and proffesions ?

Alex Watts : You didn't have to do that.
Alex Watts : You chose to.
Alex Watts : If I could invite you to rate my service, if the system won't let you please let me know.
Alex Watts : If you need further help please click reply.
Customer:

sorry one last question "You did n't have to do that" ? Not sure what you mean. To clarify, £100 is the same for every one ?

Customer:

Thanks for your help

Alex Watts : Its a matter of discretion for a judge, but any award for 7 hours will be nominal.
Alex Watts : You didn't have to act as agent sourcing etc.
Alex Watts : You made the choice, so I don't think you could necessarily claim for that.
Customer:

Yes thanks

Alex Watts : Great, if I could invite you to rate my answer, if the system doesn't let you, let me know.
Alex Watts : If you need more help please let me know.
Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/