75100385

My 7 friends and I at Loughborough Uni have rented two houses

My 7 friends and I at Loughborough Uni have rented two houses next to each other (4 in each) for the forthcoming year, 2014-15. Although we've paid our deposits and signed the tenancy agreement, the tenancy hasn't started yet and we haven't moved in or paid any rent. The landlord has just sold the two houses to two new people which has shaken our confidence, so can we refuse to take up the tenancy now? We know we may lose our deposits (8 x £300) but we're not happy to be split up this way.

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Yes because your contract is no longer valid.
Alex Watts : Your contract is with the old landlord not the new one,
Alex Watts : You can cancel and you would be entitled to your deposits back as well.
Alex Watts : You have no contract with the new landlord.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer:

I think this answers our immediate question, thanks very much. But supposing we had taken the keys on the 1st July (we wont actually move in till the end of Sept 2014 ... all that rent, stupid isn't it!) and the landlord completed his sale a week or two into July, would the same answer apply? Could we say we don't want to stay with a new landlord and just pay rent for the week or two of use?

Alex Watts : Yes the same answer applies. But you don't have to stay with the new landlord.
Alex Watts : Please could I invite you to rate my answer before you go, if the system won't let you please tell me