75100385

I have been paying my electric every quarter these bills are

Customer Question

I have been paying my electric every quarter these bills are estimate bills my husband and I knew that but we thought at the end of each year the company would either tell us we have under paid or over paid .we are in a disabled home as I am disabled and my husband is retired Now in comes. A bill yesterday for £3.495 for the last three years ,I am so worried when my husband asked them why did you not let us know after the first year or why did you not write to us ,the man said we could not get access to your house ,which is lies I am never out and when my husband is at home he is forever out doing gardening ,please can you advise us what can we do now .This house was a disabled house new three years ago with a new type of economy heating so something is far wrong but for them to leave it three years before getting in touch is so unfair we don't have that money .

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Did you ever provide meter readings please?

JACUSTOMER-csctxh9n- : Once or twice over the three years a man or woman has read our meter .and was in the house to do that
Alex Watts :

Ok - so generally about once a year?

JACUSTOMER-csctxh9n- : Once or twice over the three years a man or woman has been in the house to read the meter bit I have never provided readings
Alex Watts :

Ok - in that case you are ok

Alex Watts :

There is something called back billing which is where they try and go back and bill you for back usage

Alex Watts :

If you had the meter checked, then they are only able to back bill for the last 12 months, nothing beyond that

Alex Watts :

So anything over 12 months old that you have been under-billed for they can not charge you

Alex Watts :

The code for backbilling is available here:

Alex Watts :

http://www.energy-uk.org.uk/publication/finish/43-code-of-practice-for-accurate-bills/412-the-code-of-practice-for-accurate-bills-back-billing-for-domestic-customers.html

Alex Watts :

So in short they can only bill for the last 12 months nothing older.

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please/

JACUSTOMER-csctxh9n- : What do you advisement to do now please
Alex Watts :

You need to write to them and say they are in breach of the back billing code because your property had been visited to have the meter checked.

Alex Watts :

They should then adjust the bill to only charge for the last 12 months

Alex Watts :

Does that help?

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question might I invite you to rate my answer today. If the system wont let you, please do say

Alex Watts :

If you need more help, please click reply.

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/