75100385

my picture appeared on a the local news web site asking for

my picture appeared on a the local news web site asking for people to ring crime stoppers if they knew me, as this was with regards XXXXX XXXXX argument with the national rail way guards, i gave the police my mobile phone number as i wanted the picture to be taken down to save my family distress, a week later the photo appears in the local new paper, i feel this is something that shouldnt of been done as i have already contacted them. what are my rights with regards XXXXX XXXXX?

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

How did they get your picture please?

Customer:

CCTV footage, a young lad exposed himself in the toilet and was getting thrown off, i felt sorry for him as he distressed

Customer:

i became involved by saying to the guards i thought it was wrong of them as he was young

Alex Watts :

And what is it you want to achieve please?

Customer:

i want to know if it was ok for them to release the picture again after i had contacted them, as i wanted to be able to stop it appearing in the local news, and this didnt happen, i know my mobile number but still went ahead a placed the picture again

Alex Watts :

Did you suffer any losses please?

Customer:

i have suffered emotional stress since i reported myself to the police and now i am suffering again as the picture has appeared in the local paper, which is why i contacted them straight away.

Customer:

to stop this happening

Alex Watts :

Have you been to the Dr?

Customer:

No, i have struggled in go out the house since i reported myself to the police, feel like people are looking at me

Alex Watts :

But people would have seen you anyway as you were on the website, is that right?

Customer:

yes that is true, but that is the reason for contacting them straight away so it wouldnt appear again and them it does in the local paper

Alex Watts :

Ok

Alex Watts :

You need to write to the newspaper and set out your complaint

Alex Watts :

They should then investigate and then respond

Alex Watts :

If you are not satisfied with the response then you can complain to the Press Complaints Commission

Alex Watts :

They are independent and can investigate your complaint for free

Alex Watts :

Their website is: http://www.pcc.org.uk/

Alex Watts :

This should resolve your complaint

Alex Watts :

Customer:

But do they have a lega right to publish the pictures after i have already contacted the police with my mobile number

Alex Watts :

I do not think it is illegal as such

Alex Watts :

The paper could have gone to print before you contacted them

Customer:

i didnt contact them, i contacted the police

Alex Watts :

Ok.

Alex Watts :

In that case the Police may not have contacted the paper in time

Alex Watts :

But that is why you should go down the complaint route to resolve this

Customer:

well i contacted them on the saturday and the paper came out today wednesday

Alex Watts :

But you know when the Police contacted the paper

Alex Watts :

You should take the steps I advise in order to resolve the complaint

Customer:

no i dont, but will ask when they ring me back, ok i will do that now.

Alex Watts :

Dont do it over the phone or email, put it in writing

Customer:

will do

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything else for you?

Customer:

am i likely to get prosicuted for aggressive behaviour when i have no crimanal record

Alex Watts :

That is a different issue - it is possible.

Customer:

holy crap..ok

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question today might I invite you to rate my answer. If the system wont let you, please do say

Alex Watts :

If you need more help please click reply.

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/