29905560

If the company I work for have made up an excel spread sheet

If the company I work for have made up an excel spread sheet with employees names and post codes then distributed it to everyone (around 150 people +) in our building without asking our permission I believe this is against data protection is there anything I can do ?

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. can you tell me what your company has done about the sheet since you have made a complaint to HR.

Customer:

Hello Ben I asked for my details to be removed and I believe a colleague said they tried to call back the email but that was a few hours later and the information is out there now.

Ben Jones :

Ok thank you leave it with me I need to look up a few things and then get my advice ready.I will post back on here when done there is no need to wait and you will receive an email when I have responded.

Customer:

Ben Jones :

ok thank you

Ben Jones :

Many thanks for your patience. You are correct that this is likely to amount to a breach of data protection. This is because personal data under data protection is any information from which a living individual can be identified and which is stored on a relevant filing system. Having an electronic file with your names and other details, like postcodes, is very likely to amount to personal data and be subject to the data protection principles.

In terms of what you can do, you are highly unlikely to get any compensation from this and this is mainly going to end up in you trying to remove the information or getting an apology or the employer to deal with the person who distributed the data.

You cannot get any compensation unless you have actually suffered losses as a result of this and this does not appear to be the case. So in the absence of actual losses you are limited to just raising the issue with the employer, such as through a formal grievance and letting them take this further by investigating the issue and then deciding on what appropriate action must be taken.

Hope this clarifies your position?

Customer:

Thanks for the advice Ben. I will take up a formal grievance and see how that goes.

Customer:

Thanks again Debbie

Ben Jones :

You are most welcome, all the best

Customer:

:)

Customer:

Sorry it is not letting me click on a face at the bottom do I need to do something else first ?

Ben Jones :

no it's an intermittent bug, you can just type your choice here, many thanks

Customer:

Customer:

Good Service

Ben Jones :

thank you, noted

Customer:

bye

Ben Jones :

byee