tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

my home/contents is due for renewal 8june. having received

my home/contents is due for renewal 8june. having received the new quote I decided to look for a cheaper ins which would cover flooding. (we were flooded in 2007) and my original ins still covered this. I contacted ins 4 retirement and told them about the flood issue. they gave me a quote which I accepted. however when the papers arrived the flooding page said no flood. upon seeing this I rang them , only to be told as I had been flooded the ins was declined. this has now left me with no ins as I had told my original ins I would not be renewing as I had a cheaper quote. however i rang them to say i would like to reinsure with them and was told as i had cancelled they would not be willing to reinsure me. i am now left with no ins. please can you tell me where i can get ins which would cover flood. we are not in a flood area ,this was due to heavy rain, and the drains were unable to cope. thanking you in anticipation. mrs p turner.
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hello, thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I can assist you with your question.

tdlawyer :

They agreed to you having flood protection when you spoke with them to arrange the policy?

Customer:

yes

tdlawyer :

Okay - and then the docs arriving was the first you knew they'd turned you down for flooding etc?

Customer:

yes

tdlawyer :

Well, they can't do that. If you agreed with the new insurer that flooding would be covered, they can't change their mind afterwards. Did you pay for the policy before the policy docs arrived?

Customer:

no

tdlawyer :

But you had agreed to the policy before they arrived?

Customer:

yes.

tdlawyer :

Then I would encourage you to make a formal complaint to them immediately and ask for their final written response.

tdlawyer :

Once you have that, if they don't agree still to cover you for flooding, then you can make a complaint to the financial ombudsman service, who can force them to grant cover.

tdlawyer :

Do you know about the ombudsman?

Customer:

have heard of them but not sure what to do

tdlawyer :

okay, have a look at this:

www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/

tdlawyer :

You can make a complaint once you have asked the insurer for their final response.

tdlawyer :

He will investigate your complaint in an independent and impartial way.

tdlawyer :

He does not bind you (you can still sue the insurer later if you want) but he does bind the insurer. In other words, you can't lose by complaining to him.

Customer:

thank you so much. you have been very helpful

tdlawyer :

Are you happy with the service today please?

Customer:

yes thankyou.

tdlawyer :

Thank you very much. I hope you have a good day.

tdlawyer :

If you need anything more in the future, let me know.