tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

Two weeks before we went on holiday our cat had injured her

Customer Question

Two weeks before we went on holiday our cat had injured her paw which was treated by our vet and was on the mend. We took her into a cattery for a 12 night stay. When we went to pick her up we were told she had not eaten very much and had stayed in her basket. When she saw us she came out of her basket but was so weak and dehydrated that she could hardly walk. We rushed her to the vets who had to put her on a drip and kept her overnight. The next day they found the paw had become infected and she was very ill. The vet said if the cattery had rung them they would have gone out and had a look at her but the cattery did nothing. She is on medication a week later and is still not well. They charged us £103.00 which included food although we took our own food. They will only pay for the overnight stay and the drip at the vets because they feel that it was a pre-existing condition although we had informed the girl at the cattery of the condition and medication she had been taking although that had stopped a week before she went in. Are there ground to take this further?
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hello, thank you for your question. My name is Tony and I can assist you with your question.

tdlawyer :

Are you saying the cattery was under an obligation to look after her or identify the problem and treat it?

JACUSTOMER-6vayydr6- :

We were going on holiday and the cat was put in the cattery to be looked after while we were away they had a contact phone number for us plus the name of our vet if anything was wrong with her. Her paw was recovering when she was put in the cattery.

tdlawyer :

I see. So they had care of the cat when the problem arose?

JACUSTOMER-6vayydr6- :

They should have noticed there was a problem with the cat as she was not eating or walking about and so should have contacted us to let us know or the vet to get advise and/or treatment.

tdlawyer :

Okay, I see the point here. So the issue is, if the cattery had contacted the vets as they should have done, would this have reduced your bills.

tdlawyer :

To be honest with you, my view is that this is not likely to be something worth pursuing because the amounts are too small to make it financially beneficial to you. I understand why you would be annoyed, I would too, but equally you have to look at where the final result leaves you financially. The Court fee would be about £50 to even start the claim.

JACUSTOMER-6vayydr6- :

Thank you but we do feel that paying someone to look after your pet should not result in the pet being very ill when you return to collect it surely they have a duty of care

JACUSTOMER-6vayydr6- :

Yes because I was still asking questions

tdlawyer :

I agree that paying somebody means they should look after the pet well. I completely see that. But, from a legal perspective, the court will ask whether they caused the problem to start with.

tdlawyer :

Do you say they did cause the problem to start with - i.e. the bad paw?