Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

I purchased a Jaguar, was told I would have 9 days free insurance,

I purchased a Jaguar, was told I would have 9 days free insurance, in which I discovered after having the car delivered I have no insurance as they did not put it on, I was driving a £24k car with my 2year old for 2 days without any insurance. The dealership are not interested claiming I had declined the free insurance. What are my options?
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
My name isXXXXX and I'm happy to help with your question today. I need to ask you some preliminary questions to be able to help you.

-Why is this an issue? Were you involved in an accident or stopped by the Police?

-Do you have documentary proof of the insurance i.e. they would normally give you a copy of the cover note.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thankfully, I was not stopped by the police or involved in an accident. There is no documentary proof as this was said during the sale agreement as I my brother with me asked the question to the sales colleague, who had said there was 7 days free. This was used so I could sell my old car privately (I was initially going to part exchange my old car with Jag, but could get more privately for it), transfer the old insurance policy to my new car and use the 7 days free insurance to do so. This was so I would not have 2 lots of insurance and car payments going out in, as it was financially not viable for me.

This is an issue as i believe this was a misrepresentation of sale as I was not given what was mentioned in in agreement to the sale

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
Misrepresentation is a breach of contract. So if the dealer promised you insurance but you did not get it then you could, in principle, sue for breach of contract. But you do not appear to have suffered any losses or expenses as a result of this breach so commencing action would be pointless. Also in the absence of some evidence (e.g. 7 day cover note), its going to be difficult to prove the case against the dealer -all they need to do is deny liability and say you were not given any paperwork because you opted out of the insurance.