UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I have paid a builder £3000 for materials that he has not delivered

I have paid a builder £3000 for materials that he has not delivered and he refuses to discuss the issue.
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
My name isXXXXX and I'm happy to help with your question today. I need to ask you some preliminary questions to be able to help you.

-Do you have some evidence of the payment? When was this supposed to be delivered?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hallo Alex, Unfortunately taken in by a glib tongue, a neighbours experience, initially excellent progress through inclement weather I fell at the final act. The project started at £70,000 went through several bonafide changes to a final figure of Approx £95,000, paying cash via bank transfers and the occasional cash in hand. I have kept a diary of events throughout and gave weekly accounts to the builder of payments and budget spend plus budget available. This was through the winter period until 6 weeks ago when labour disappeared together with tools and equipment. I had been paying upfront and the buider gave me a list of requirements for which i payed partially money transfer and the rest in cash. This list has never been supplied and the cash not returned. Plus the build still needs stone cladding and spoil removed from site, the place is a quagmire, unfinished but the builder continues to promise to complete the work without further funding but promises promises. Again he promises to appear this forthcoming Sunday to discuss a partial payment but I have no faith that this will occure Regards John

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
Hello John,

I would suggest that you send the builder a final demand in a letter form pointing out what he owes you, what work is outstanding etc and give him a reasonable period to refund your money or rectify the problem e.g. by 15th June 2014.

If he still fails to do so, you may file a court claim online at www.moneyclaim.gov.uk for your money. You may claim up to 100,000 pounds online. I would think that he will act when he receives court summons thorugh his front door.

Can I help further?
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience: English solicitor with over 12 years experience