How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question

UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I have paid a builder £3000 for materials that he has not delivered

Resolved Question:

I have paid a builder £3000 for materials that he has not delivered and he refuses to discuss the issue.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
My name isXXXXX and I'm happy to help with your question today. I need to ask you some preliminary questions to be able to help you.

-Do you have some evidence of the payment? When was this supposed to be delivered?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hallo Alex, Unfortunately taken in by a glib tongue, a neighbours experience, initially excellent progress through inclement weather I fell at the final act. The project started at £70,000 went through several bonafide changes to a final figure of Approx £95,000, paying cash via bank transfers and the occasional cash in hand. I have kept a diary of events throughout and gave weekly accounts to the builder of payments and budget spend plus budget available. This was through the winter period until 6 weeks ago when labour disappeared together with tools and equipment. I had been paying upfront and the buider gave me a list of requirements for which i payed partially money transfer and the rest in cash. This list has never been supplied and the cash not returned. Plus the build still needs stone cladding and spoil removed from site, the place is a quagmire, unfinished but the builder continues to promise to complete the work without further funding but promises promises. Again he promises to appear this forthcoming Sunday to discuss a partial payment but I have no faith that this will occure Regards John


Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
Hello John,

I would suggest that you send the builder a final demand in a letter form pointing out what he owes you, what work is outstanding etc and give him a reasonable period to refund your money or rectify the problem e.g. by 15th June 2014.

If he still fails to do so, you may file a court claim online at for your money. You may claim up to 100,000 pounds online. I would think that he will act when he receives court summons thorugh his front door.

Can I help further?
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience: English solicitor with over 12 years experience
UKSolicitorJA and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice

Related Law Questions