12826847

Where there is criss cross yellow marking on a road, is it

Customer Question

Where there is criss cross yellow marking on a road, is it lawful for a person deliberately to park on those yellow criss cross markings?

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jo,

I am 86 years old, and disabled. The council has given me a mobility scooter, which is stored in a square metal 'box'. This is outside my flat, in a parking area just off the road. (That parking area belongs to us flat-dwellers) The man who parks on the yellow markings lives across the street. He is the only drive who ever parks on the yellow markings. My scooter store is unlocked from the side of the store, and sufficient space is required there before I can access my mobility scooter,

So the issue is that he is parking on yellow lines?

Is there wording on the road?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, Jo, there is no wording in our parking area just in front of the flats. Just the yellow criss cross paint, to stop people from preventing me from using my mobility scooter. This man, from a house right across the street from where our flats are, well, I think he must be a very unhappy man, to behave in the way he does - to annoy me, I think. Everyone living near him talks about him (in a derogatory way.) I would like to know if there is any rule/regulation that I can quote to him, to prevent him carrying on.

(Not that he would be likely to listen to me...)

Ok. But when you say criss cross markings, do you mean a box junction?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Jo, I don't know what a box junction is, but I'm sure these criss cross lines are not for that. When one drives, and comes to a place with yellow criss cross lines, we know it means 'no parking'. The lines were painted on our parking area by the council to stop people from parking too close to my mobility scooter shed. The parking area is not big - it's a rather narrow area just off the side of the street, and just in front of two blocks of flats, each block with four flats. There is enough room for parking for each flat, plus a visitor or two.

By the way, this man who parks on the 'no-parking' lines, has tried to get the local council to force me to remove my scooter store, saying it's in the way. But the council refused.

If there's nothing at all I can do about it, please tell me, and at least I won't worry so much about it any more.

If the yellow no parking lines are worn right out from this man's parking on them, would the local council be responsible for re-painting them?

Well, it depends.

I will really need to know what these lines indicate. Cris cross lines can mean a large number of things. They can mean no stopping, no waiting, loading or indicate another prohibition.

Probably it does indicate some form of prohibition upon parking or at least staying for a certain length of time.

Depending on the nature of the prohibition, its likely to be the local council's responsibility to enforce and, in fact, to maintain the paint on the road.

You can find out the nature of the prohibition by calling the council and asking for sight of the Traffic Management Order. You might have to go to the Town Hall to view it but you can access it for free.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks a lot, Jo, for your time and answer. You have helped me to feel a bit better about this whole situation, and I shall get in touch with the North Ayrshire council and put the matter before them.

I really appreciate you and your help!

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’.