Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I own my own home outright and I have two children who I wish

Customer Question

I own my own home outright and I have two children who I wish to recieve that home in the event of my death. I am contemplating letting my partner move in but do not want him to have any claim to my property/assests. How do I protect myself against this? (in detail please) I have heard there is some sort of agreement you can sign but is it worth the paper its written on? Is it legally binding. If he pays something towards the house hold bills then does this make him entitled to my assets in law?? If this can be solved can you suggest a solicitor who would offer this service in Manchester.
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is Al and am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

I am afraid there is no cast iron way of safeguarding your property for your 2 children, if your partner does move in with you. This is because, if you were to die, your partner MAY have a claim against your Estate if reasonable financial provision has been left for him under your Will. However daft it sounds, the more provision you provide for him during your lifetime, the more he would be entitled to upon your death, if you were living together as husband and wife at the date of your death. eg if he has no savings/owns no property, and then he lives under your roof, for x amount of years, he would be entitled to make a claim against your Estate if he was not given the right to remain in your property after your death.
Of course, no-one can predict the future, but you are best to discuss this with a local Solicitor who can advise you fully and who will suggest that you make a Will- you can put a proviso in your Will granting your partner the right to remain living in the property after your death, but upon his death/him wishing to vacate, the property then passes outright to your 2 children.

There are plenty of such Solicitors in Manchester. You can go on the Law Society website- clink on "Find a Solicitor" and you can type in your postcode to find a local Wills Solicitor.

www.lawsociety.org.uk

I hope this assists and answers your question.

Kind Regards
AL

Hi Wendie,

Can I be of any further assistance to you?

Kind Regards
AL