How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question

Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10428
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

I own my own home outright and I have two children who I wish

Customer Question

I own my own home outright and I have two children who I wish to recieve that home in the event of my death. I am contemplating letting my partner move in but do not want him to have any claim to my property/assests. How do I protect myself against this? (in detail please) I have heard there is some sort of agreement you can sign but is it worth the paper its written on? Is it legally binding. If he pays something towards the house hold bills then does this make him entitled to my assets in law?? If this can be solved can you suggest a solicitor who would offer this service in Manchester.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is Al and am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

I am afraid there is no cast iron way of safeguarding your property for your 2 children, if your partner does move in with you. This is because, if you were to die, your partner MAY have a claim against your Estate if reasonable financial provision has been left for him under your Will. However daft it sounds, the more provision you provide for him during your lifetime, the more he would be entitled to upon your death, if you were living together as husband and wife at the date of your death. eg if he has no savings/owns no property, and then he lives under your roof, for x amount of years, he would be entitled to make a claim against your Estate if he was not given the right to remain in your property after your death.
Of course, no-one can predict the future, but you are best to discuss this with a local Solicitor who can advise you fully and who will suggest that you make a Will- you can put a proviso in your Will granting your partner the right to remain living in the property after your death, but upon his death/him wishing to vacate, the property then passes outright to your 2 children.

There are plenty of such Solicitors in Manchester. You can go on the Law Society website- clink on "Find a Solicitor" and you can type in your postcode to find a local Wills Solicitor.

I hope this assists and answers your question.

Kind Regards
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.

Hi Wendie,

Can I be of any further assistance to you?

Kind Regards

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice

Related Law Questions