How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question

Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10428
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

Where do we stand our mother and father died one year ago.

Customer Question

Where do we stand our mother and father died one year ago. There is a house involved but my middle sister lives there. With the deeds it was in mother, father and sister. The thing is that she said that she was going to move but now is saying that she is not and the house is hers. There was a will but unable to find it. In the will that we can not find it said that one third is sues and then the other two thirds will be divided by the three of us. Where do we stand with this there is no mortgage outstanding on the house. Please can you help me that you
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

The first thing you need to do is to find out how your parents and sister held the property. If they held it as "Joint tenants" this means that upon the first and second deaths, the property automatically passes to the survivor (ie your sister). If this is the case, then the property does now belong solely to your sister, even if any Will says that any share should pass to you and your other sibling.
The other way that the property may be held is as "Tenants in common". If it is held this way, then each of your parents and sister hold a separate one third share each in the house, and which one third share passes in accordance with each of theirs Will. If they held the property this way, then you do need to try and locate your Father's Will and also your Mother's, so you can get confirmation as to who should inherit their respective one third share. If no Will can be located, then it has to be assumed that there was no Will (or if there was a Will that it had been destroyed) and your father's share would then pass in accordance with the Rules of Intestacy which would mean all 3 of you would inherit an equal share each.

I am guessing that the property was held as Joint tenants, otherwise your sister would not be saying that the property is hers.

You therefore need to check with a local Conveyancing Solicitor as to how they did indeed hold the property. He will be able to apply to the Land Registry for a copy of the Deeds and this will show how they held the property.

I hope this answers your question and sets out the legal position.

Kind Regards
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.

Hi Karen,

Can I be of any more assistance to you?

Kind Regards

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice