tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

I have just purchased a new build and on the day of the completion

I have just purchased a new build and on the day of the completion the builders informed us there was a problem with the carport, you cant actually get a car in it, they are prepared to do a small amount of remedial work which should allow for a car to fit, they have said that to commence with these works which are a gesture of "goodwill" that we have to put into writing that there will be no follow up from us, I am very wary of doing this as we really do not know what difference it will make and might still not be acceptable.

Please advise as to where we stand regarding this

Kind regards, Joanne
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hello, thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I can assist you with your question.

tdlawyer :

Hi Joanne.

Customer:

hi Tony :)

tdlawyer :

Hello! Okay... did you buy off plan?

Customer:

No, we bought after the house was built, the car port is built to the measurements but due to interior wood and fencing and brick on both sides it is not accessible, they have confirmed this to us

tdlawyer :

Okay. I'm trying to work out where the legal liability rests you see. The issue is whether they have built to what you agreed, and it sounds like they have.

tdlawyer :

Can I just check: did you inspect the carport once built and agree to buy anyway?

Customer:

Yeah and that is what they are saying, they say they have delivered a car port as described and it is up to us whether we choose to keep a car in it, hence it is call a car port! :) we didn't think to have to check the carport, they told us on the day after we had completed, as we picked up the keys

tdlawyer :

Okay, well, legally, I expect they're right then I'm afraid to say.

tdlawyer :

If you inspected it, and they made no specific promises to get a car in it (despite what it's called), then all purchases of property re based on "caveat emptor" - let the buyer beware.

Customer:

Oh that is a shame :( I guess I have to agree to the remedial work and hope for the best then :(

tdlawyer :

It does sound like it I'm afraid :(

Customer:

okay, well at least I know, thanks very much for your help Tony :) PS never buy a house with a car port :)

tdlawyer :

Lol :) Thank you - and I hope you have a good week!

tdlawyer :

Oh, can I just ask, are you happy with the service today?

Customer:

thanks very much and you :)

tdlawyer :

tdlawyer :

Please remember to rate the answer for me before leaving - thank you!

Customer:

okay and will do:)

tdlawyer :

Ta!