UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Regarding car insurance. A trivial matter, but at the moment

Regarding car insurance.

A trivial matter, but at the moment I'm banging my head against the proverbial. Starting a new car insurance and they want proof of my no claims, which I sent across. A week later I get a letter saying that because I sent no proof my no claims discount would be reduced to starter. When I contacted them, they told me that it was documentation from an existing policy (not proof of cancellation) so it was inapplicable. Dissatisfied with this constant jobsworth barrage I'm thinking about cancellation and starting again. They have proof of my no claims in black and white. I'm sure they'll demand a cancellation fee - can they do this and can I stop a direct debit before it's been set up?

Gerald Wixey
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

Sorry to hear about this.

Have you tried speaking to a manager or someone senior?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes , I'm talking to another today, (if they ring back!) I need to know what leverage I have before talking to them again.

You can walk away f they do not accept the no claims evidence you have sent them. You may also cancel the direct debit if the payment has not gone out already.

May I help further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My point is that I've talked to 3 other insurers and they will accept the documentation I've already presented. Am I liable for a cancellation fee?

You should not be in the circumstances as they are unreasonably not accepting your evidence and you entered into the policy with them on condition that you would get a no claims discount which they are not giving you, so no valid contract and no legal basis to ask you to pay a cancellation fee.

If they insist on the cancellation fee, you may pay it and reclaim it later thorugh their complaints procedure or by involving the Financial Ombudsman just so that you can get your cover started with the other insurers who are happy to accept your no claims evidence.

Hope this clarifies. Please leave feedback