UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

We are living in our own property but there is a tree out side

We are living in our own property but there is a tree out side my property belonging to our local council the roots of the said tree have now come under my property damaging my gravel boards fence and paving slabs I have put it in writing to my local council but I have had no reply back I have phoned my local ombudsman who as now e mailed me back to tell me I have got a case to go to court so what is my next step thanks sue
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

Yes, the council is liable for damage caused to your property by their tree.

See this case:

http://www.thelawyer.com/tree-damage-falls-to-councils/78283.article

I would advise you to appoint a solicitor to represent you in your claim for damages against the council, you could try and see if the solicitor is willing to work on a no win no fee basis such that they get a commission say 25% of whatever amount is awarded against the council and no commission if they do not getanything out of the council.

May I help further?