12826847

I have recieved a NIP for speeding (37mph in a 30mph limit) I

I have recieved a NIP for speeding (37mph in a 30mph limit)
I was on a motorbike and the mobile camera van was facing me so no registration number was visible
I saw the operator in the van get up and go to the front and presumably he noted my registration number as i passed the van
I was doing 30mph as i passed the van
What should i do with the NIP

Alan Chapman

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Do you deny that you were speeding please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No i probably was doing that speed

I was in traffic and watching the road rather than my speedo, but i could not say exactly what speed i was doing

Are you asking if you have to complete it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am asking can I be prosecuted as the camera was facing me with no visible registration number
Yes, you can. Whether there is enough evidence to convict is another matter.

Probably the way it is put is this. The laser gun recorded your speed and the operator made a note of your number plate. That is obviously not so incontrovertible as a GATSO camera where your index number would be captured in a photograph but it cannot be dismissed entirely.

In any event though, whether they have a case against you in speeding or not, you have received a S172 request. If you don't complete it then they will just charge you with failing to identify which carries 6 points and a much higher fine. That may well be their game here. They are probably hoping that you will not complete it so they can prosecute you for something.