tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

A former puil of mine is making false defamatory statements

A former puil of mine is making false defamatory statements about me on Facebook how do I ger redress on this? and how much does it cost
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hi, thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX can help with this.

tdlawyer :

Do you just want the posts taken down or do you want to sue for damages?

Customer:

Both

tdlawyer :

Okay. Contact facebook and tell them about the posts, they're likely to just remove them if they're potentially defamatory.

tdlawyer :

Then, to obtain compensation, you would have to issue a claim at court. You would need to do a detailed pre-action protocol letter to the former pupil first.

tdlawyer :

Here is the protocol, you must follow this before suing: http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/protocol/prot_def

tdlawyer :

It tells you what information needs to go in your letter of claim etc.

tdlawyer :

Most people settle at this stage, and you should hopefully get a sensible financial offer from the former pupil (or his/her parents) before you have to issue a claim.

Customer:

OK If I had to go ahead with a claim what are the likely costs?

tdlawyer :

Depends - you can get solicitors that would do this type of thing on a no win no fee.

tdlawyer :

But if you paid privately, all the way to trial, it could cost £30k, possibly more.

tdlawyer :

It all depend.

tdlawyer :

I'd look for solicitors that would do it on a no win no fee agreement.

tdlawyer :

Very few cases ever reach trial though. Don't forget, the defendant is likely to incur such costs if they have to defend with lawyers.

Customer:

OK Thanks