tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

I have a letter from a holiday cottage company for damage that

I have a letter from a holiday cottage company for damage that my son supposedly caused when he stayed in one of their cottages. I requested proof that the damage had occurred including receipts for goods bought to replace damaged goods. I have received letters rather than the receipts from the shops that the goods were purchased from. I would have thought any good reputable company would have kept the original receipts for their records rather than having to go back to the shops for letters of proof of purchase. I understand that the damaged goods have all been disposed of Is this legally correct.

Eileen Dunn
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hi, thanks for your question.

tdlawyer :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I can assist with this.

tdlawyer :

The law does not stipulate what form of proof is required in order to substantiate a claim like this.

tdlawyer :

However, you would expect ordinarily to see receipts for the items concerned, particularly when were bought in circumstances like this. It must always have been in contemplation of the property owner, but action would be brought against your son to recover the money they believe due.

tdlawyer :

So essentially, you're casting doubt over the credibility of their claim, and their evidence, by suggesting that these are not genuine expenses.

tdlawyer :

Obviously, if the court accepts that, any defence is likely to succeed.

tdlawyer :

Are you there?

Customer:

From your reply I presume it would be worth while to find a solicitor who covers these issues. What should the solicitor be qualified in to help me. I am aware that solicitors specialize in certain subjects.

tdlawyer :

Yes, it's always worth taking professional advice. You wouldn't need a specialist solicitor as such for this. You need to speak to somebody that does civil litigation or dispute resolution, and most of them will be able to help.

Customer:

Thank you for your assistance

tdlawyer :

You're welcome. Can I ask whether you're happy with the service today please?

Customer:

Yes I am satisfied with your assistance on this issue.