UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

contact 2 years ago my late husband died in our house fire,

contact 2 years ago my late husband died in our house fire, tests were done ,but he left a note on the fence, not actually saying he was going to commit suicide, , but for 2years have been fighting the insurers, who first said they needed the actual death certificate, which I couldn't obtain until the inquest in sept 2013, this stated he died of smoke inhalation and burns, sent it to the insurers who then said they wanted a copy of the transcript from the inquest, which after a lot of phone calls, I obtained, sent it to them , and today have had a letter to say that there decision is still the same, but to contact an ombudsman , but must be done within 6 months of there final response which was in march this year, do hope you can give me some advise
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

I suspect the life insurance policy does not pay out in the event of suicide and the insurer thinks that your husband committed suicide which is why they are not paying out due to the note found on the fence.

You may raise a formal complaint with the Financial Ombudsman Service and ask them to adjudicate on the matter as requested by the insurers:
http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/consumer/complaints.htm

You may ask the Ombudsman to extend the time limit due to compelling circumstances i.e. the death of your husband, the fire etc. You should do so without delay.

You may also file a court action against the insurer if they are wronglyfully not paying out, the time limit for filing a court claim is much longer than the ombudsmans, 6 years normally.

May I help further?
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience: English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
My name is Alex Hughes and I'm happy to help you.

I'm sorry to hear about this.

Please could you be more specific about what you would like to know?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

have contacted the financial ombudsman, they are sending me forms to fill in, I was happy with advice you gave me, it was more or less what I expected you to say, didn't know if you would advise my contacting a solicitor.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

have contacted financial ombudsman, who are going to send me some forms to fill in, I was happy with what you told me, was more or less what I expected, didn't know if you would advise me to contact a solicitor,