My daughter has her car insurance with Drive Like a Girl. She

My daughter has her car insurance with Drive Like a Girl. She took the policy out in July last year and declared her address as her home address in Hertfordshire and that the car was kept on the drive. In late September she went back to university for her final year. The company have found through GPS that she has been in Portsmouth a lot of the time and are now challenging the validity of her insurance. Her previous company, Aviva, told her to use her home address when she explained the situation to them.

She did state on her insurance that she was a student. Do they have a valid argument as it does not seem correct that she has to swap her address many times during the year

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Did she actually live in different places though please?

No when not at home she was in the same house in Portsmouth whilst at university

Alex Watts : Ok. But I assume that she was spending the majority of the time in Portsmouth please?

I would think about 50/50 as she often came home during term time for long weekends

Alex Watts : If its 50/50 she is ok.
Alex Watts : If its more than 50% if the time at another address she i
Alex Watts : she is not ok.
Alex Watts : She needs to declare where she is spending most of her time,
Alex Watts : To be fair she should have explained the situation to the new insurers.

IF she was slightly over in favour of Portsmouth would it be an issue

Alex Watts : She perhaps should not have assumed that it was the same as aviva.
Alex Watts : I think it could be. She should have declared she split her time and allowed the insurers to say what to do
Alex Watts : It is an issue if risk
Alex Watts : It is an issue of risk you see.
Alex Watts : Portsmouth maybe a higher risk and therefore higher premium.
Alex Watts : Home may be lower risk.

should they not have questioned her at the time when she said she was student

Alex Watts : That's not their job,
Alex Watts : Its your job as a customer to declare all circumstances.
Alex Watts : She could have been a student locally.
Alex Watts : But I am only saying worst case.
Alex Watts : There is a clear reason why she is there and she should explain why and that she is back weekend etc.
Alex Watts : If that does not resolve matters you can of course go to the ombudsman

So best to go back and be polite and say we did not know it would be an issue

Alex Watts :
Alex Watts : Yes it's an innocent explanation.
Alex Watts : You can of course say it was not questioned when a student was declared.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

OK thanks very much for your help

Alex Watts : Good luck I am sure it will be fine,
Alex Watts : If this answers your question might I invite you to rate my answer. If the system won't let you please do say
Alex Watts : If you need more help please click reply.

The system will not let me as it says you have not answered

Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Try now!