75100385

I have just been contacted by a friend whos cousin, female

I have just been contacted by a friend who's cousin, female 33 and uk citizen has had a serious accident whilst in Pisa In Italy.
She fell from a platform to a concrete floor 30 feet below, she is in hospital with severe injuries, including potential brain and spinal damage, collapsed left lung and previously in a coma.
She had no medical insurance and although her treatment is free because of agreement between uk and Italian government, to repatriate will cost £50 000.
Obviously her family are very distraught, I was wondering if there are any mechanisms to help with at least some of the funding of medical repatriation.

Many Thanks

David Pottinger

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Did she apply for a free EU medical card before she left please?
Customer:

I am not sure but I assume not as she had no insurance.

Alex Watts : Forgive the delay but I have been dong a lot of research without much joy.
Alex Watts : Sadly if she did not have travel insurance she is required to pay for her own transport back.
Alex Watts : This is because when you go away, you are responsible for your own health and getting insurance.
Alex Watts : If you don't get insurance you run the risk of being stuck abroad. This is why it is well worth the £20 or so.
Alex Watts : You can try the NHS but they may be unwilling the fund the cost of transport back.
Alex Watts : If they are then sadly she is stuck and should have take out insurance.
Alex Watts : I have researched this extensively and am sorry if this is not the answer you want, it certainly isn't the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer:

Yes that's what I thought, it turns out she does have a EU medical card, sorry for not clarifying that sooner. not sure if it makes any difference or not?

Alex Watts : That does entitle her to treatment, but you need to check to see if it also qualifies for repatriation. I suspect not as it is for treatment only and not flights.
Alex Watts : But worth checking.
Alex Watts : If this answers your question might I invite you to rate my answer today. If the system won't let you please do say.
Alex Watts : If you need more help please click reply.
Customer:

Thank you very much for your help and for clarifying things.