tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

What can I do about excessive noise and air pollution from

What can I do about excessive noise and air pollution from neighbours who are using the garages next to our garden as a car workshop (One of them rents a flat in the block that the garages are associated with). We've asked the landlord to ask them to stop but to no avail. We can't sit in our garden or even have windows open on dry weekend days or weekday evenings if they are out there working. They frequently rev the engines up to the maximum for many minutes at a time (hence the noise and exhaust fume pollution). Today there were four cars being worked on but I'm frightened to confront them personally as I fear for my safety and that of my property. It's making me ill (physically and emotionally) as it's been going on for more than a year but has increased recently.
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hello, welcome to the website. My name isXXXXX can assist you with this.

tdlawyer :

Do you know whether they have planning permission to use their premises as a car workshop?

Customer:

I don't know but I very much doubt it as, to my knowledge, they don't own the property. These are flats above some shops in the middle of a residential area in a village. The garages are behind the shops and I believe they are owned by the shop owner who also owns the flats

tdlawyer :

Okay. Well it has to be worth a call to the council anyway, because if they don't have permission, then they can come and take enforcement action with a view to closing them down.

tdlawyer :

You should check the land registry too and see whether their title has any covenants affecting the things they may use it for.

tdlawyer :

Sometimes, you have covenants that say it can only be used as a single private dwelling house etc.

tdlawyer :

If that appears, they you may be able to rely on this to prevent them from using it as a garage.

tdlawyer :

You can do that the http://www.landregistry.gov.uk website.

Customer:

OK thanks.