Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

if the person required to sign their will is to weak to make

Customer Question

if the person required to sign their will is to weak to make a full signature will a mark they make on the document , or thumprint, being properly witnessed, meet legal requirement ?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is Al and am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

If the will-maker cannot write, they can place a mark where they would otherwise sign and the attestation clause should state that because the will-maker was unable to sign, a mark was made by them in place of a signature. Alternatively if someone else signs by direction for a will-maker who is physically unable to sign, the attestation clause should reflect the circumstances.

The Attestation clause is the clause at the end of the Will, confirming how the will-maker has signed and that this was in front of 2 witnesses.

In your scenario, it would of course be best for a Solicitor to prepare the Will as he will know what wording is best to put in the attestation clause.

I hope this assists, but please let me know if you require any further clarification.

Kind Regards
AL