How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Clare Your Own Question

Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34026
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Hi I suspect my husband having a mental issue, I am in

Customer Question


I suspect my husband having a mental issue, I am in contact with his GP who can t force a psychiatric assessment. His condition is worse, not eating, very stressed sometimes very nervous with melt downs, with obsessions.
we are separated with money as he forced me to transfer money £8000 from our account in his account , I have done this forced by him in the bank, people from there saw this and they offered me to cancelled the transaction, I refused as I was afraid of his reaction. He accused me of stealing money that is not true. Meantime this obsession dissapeared but a new one came!
The problem is that I am paying the rent and sometimes food as he is eating almost nothing. I have no control of his money and I am very stretched with expenses as m y father is ill and I have to pay doctors, travels to hospitals etc. Few months ago made a contract for an Iphone for a £25 per month. He wants not to pay it now and received few letters from debt collector companies. He wants to became a student for getting a student loan only.
We have no kids.
My question is how can be forced to pay half of the rent and how as his wife to know what are his incomes and expenses.
What are my liabilities if he is not fulfilling his contracts for loan or for other things, Am I eligible to pay?

Thank you very much for your time.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Do you wish to remain in the marriage?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much for your reply.


Yes I want to remain in marriage as I consider that my husband has a mental problem, in fact I suspect him of being autist or having Asperger syndrome. If you think his money are the reason of staying in marriage is wrong. I am earning more money than him. I never went to police to make a complain, I keep this as the last option. That is the reason of writing you.

Please note that his GP was agree to talk to me without him, I will have an appointment on 5th June.


Kind regards,


Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Unless you wish to start divorce proceedings - which clearly you do not - then I am afraid that there is no way that you can force him to contribute to the rent and other outgoings
In addition unless he agrees you have no right to see his financial paperwork.
However you are NOT liable for any debts that are in his sole name.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice

Related Law Questions