75100385

my granddaughter witnessed an incident outside her home she

my granddaughter witnessed an incident outside her home she gave her view of what she saw but informed police called to the incident that she was unable to identify any of the people involved and did not wish to make an official statement and would not be prepared to go to court as a witness it was a minor assault and no one was badly injured she now had a card through her letter box informing her police had called to issue her with a summons and also informed her to attend at the local police station to receive the summons failure to do so could lead to her arrest this happened yesterday and she is now very distressed and unsure how to proceed she lives on her own and is a single mother with a 2 year old soon and is afraid of repercussion should she be forced to testify in court it is Scottish law.

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : If she has been served with a summons she should attend because if she does not then she could be arrested.
Alex Watts : However she should ask the prosecutor to apply for special measures.
Alex Watts : This is for example where screens could be used so the defendant can't see the witness.
Alex Watts : So she should ask for special measures.
Alex Watts : But if there is a summons she should attend.
Alex Watts : I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer:

as yet she has not been served with the summons as she was not at home but been advised to attend the local police station by a card through her letter box what action should you take in this instance.