13262538

if a lady (89) dies in march 2014 and her will was made in

Customer Question

if a lady (89) dies in march 2014 and her will was made in 2010 with all grandchildren Being left £5000. what would happen to the money of a dead grandchild, died 2011? Assuming the estate was not changed? She was marched to solicitors and banks by her children (dont know what for although she could barely walk) to sign things she couldnt see. doesnt it get split equally between nearest siblings normally? that is my question
What is the exact wording of the Will with regard to the gift to the grandchildren?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

im not sure. £5000 to each. I think in simple terms. She wasnt expecting her 30 year old grandchild to die before her. the dead grandchild is childless, so next in line would be closest sibblings in theory. brother, sister being the closest., the estate would be split between them. I stand to inherit £5000, it was my mums thought as to where /what exactly happens to my late sisters goes. a sizeable chunk of any of my late sisters money would be given to animal charities as i see it as dirty money for having to ask. My Mum asked my Dad this question a few days back and got a vague dont know answer, Im sorry I cant be of any more help as i would NEVER be allowed to see a copy of the will.

Actually no it does not pass to siblings in these circumstances
Depending on the exact wording either the gift will fail entirely and fall into the Residue of the estate (everything that is left) OR it will be re-distributed between ALL the grand children
The second will only happen if she left a lumps um to be shared equally between all her surviving grandchildren
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK thank you for your efficient service. Thats interesting. I hope it goes into the body of the will rather than my cousins and their offspring who couldnt even be bothered to turn up to my sisters funeral. (there was nothing in it for them!) They ALL attended dear grannys funeral. Funny that

HI
You are welcome - and actually I suspect that it will indeed fall into residue
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1 more question.

Could the will have been changed in 2011 after my sisters death? 2 solicitor companies have dealt with the estate, 1 in our hometown & 1 in the other grand childerens hometown. They are now dealing with the estate. I am aware a will cant be changed now. Thanks

If she had mental capacity then yes it could have been changed