12826847

broken credit agreement

Customer Question

Where do I stand if my new energy supplier for the new property I had just moved into was basing my payments on the previous tenants... but then broke the credit agreement of the £70's per month by taking out £290... on top of £300. They did this 2 months in a row and I had to get the bank to do an indemnity. Its messed my payments up the bank charged me for going over my overdraft which a the time I didn't realise was because of the horrific amount of money they had taken out of my account. I spent hours on hold to Scottish power or waiting hours for a call back which would often then if I was lucky to get a call back would be when I was back at work and unable to speak. I made several complaints ..I received automated responses ..after the 8 week period that they say they get in touch... still no official response to the e-mail.. several e-mails again to Scottish power I received an e-mail saying that I didn't have to deal with the customer service and someone who was investigating would be in touch.. oh I had also requested a copy of data that they keep on me.. I was hoping to see what attempts they had actually made to contact me in order to decide wether I wanted to take it further.. still waiting for someone to contact me .. I have received a letter stating if I don't pay a lump sum of what I owe legal action will be taken ... I had to ring up the customer service which I was advised I wouldn't need to to ask why I had been sent this.. im not refusing to pay... I am happy to pay what I owe but t=after the mess I believe it reasonable for them not to expect me to pay all in full when they have completely messed my finances around but spread payments in affordable amounts and I am very very worried it has affected my credit. After contacting Scottish power, the woman I spoke to said that no legal action would be taken and that someone would contact me to sort it out. I havn't received any calls that I am aware of.. it is possible that I have when I have been working and unable to receive but there has been no voicemails left to advise of this, so far.. I havn't received any formal apology from Scottish power for the stress they have caused me but I'm more grieved by the fact they havn't apologised. I have given them days they are able to ring when I am not working and havn't received contact on these either. My experience with Scottish power has been an absolutle nightmare.

Alex Watts : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-DSCHX50-Compact-Digital-Camera/dp/B00CLQK7WC/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1401613622&sr=1-4&keywords=sony+dschx50b
Alex Watts : Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Was it a credit agreement, or did they just agree to take £70 a month?
Alex Watts : did you ever provide them with meter readings please?
Alex Watts : Have you been over charged or as I understand it under charged please?
JACUSTOMER-uebqv0cd- :

Hi Alex,

JACUSTOMER-uebqv0cd- :

There was a gas meter in to begin with when I moved in over the Christmas period beginning of jan. I requested someone come and take the meter out as I wanted to pay monthly. the previous tenants as I was told by the gentleman who came to take the meter out had something outstanding like 2000.

JACUSTOMER-uebqv0cd- :

I did provide meter readings right at the beginning and was told the minimum they could take in payment on dd would be £300 for the gas .. I thought this very expensive but I was stuck with this company because of the meter and couldn't change companies until it had been taken out. So I agreed to the 300 with a personal view of getting the meter out and changing suppliers very quickly. The electricity payment we agreed to for each month was £70... to later find out they had been taking just short of 300 2 months running.

JACUSTOMER-uebqv0cd- :

sorry I keep pressing the wrong button and it submits my answers before I have finished but I hope this information helps.

JACUSTOMER-uebqv0cd- :

my understanding of it is that they have failed to take the agreed £70 and have have automatically taken the amount they presumably were taking from the previous tenants. When trying to sort it all out a woman I had spoken to had said this is what had happened. Also because of the previous tenants I was struggling to change providers it seems that they can do this again.. based on previous tenants and not myself. I've just remembered that the gentleman I spoke to through Halifax indemnity was the person who told me they had broken a credit agreement...if that information helps at all.. many thanks leigh

JACUSTOMER-uebqv0cd- :

I'm really sorry, ive just re read what you were asking.. in short I provided right at the beginning a meter reading for both. They took my bank details and agreed that they would take 70 for electricity and 300 for gas. I was over charged.

Alex Watts : Ok.
Alex Watts : Have they taken subsequent readings please? If so when you had the bill, did it say you were going to be charged higher amounts please?
JACUSTOMER-uebqv0cd- :

I struggled making contact with Scottish Power, due to length of on hold periods which would generally be anything up until a couple of hours. When they are experiencing high call volumes you are given the option for a call back. You then wait up until a couple of hours for the call back, obviously sometimes it was less but when you receive the call back you are on hold again... occasionally you might get through to an advisor but much to my annoyance.. quite often the call is just disconnected! which then puts you right at the beginning of having to ring again and go through the whole scenario. As such I didn't provide as many as I should although really I wasn't with them for very long. I swapped over to first utility on the 24th April. I was never advised verbally or in writing that my payments would alter automatically I was led to believe that I could adjust my payments if I needed to if I was using a lot less or a lot more but with my agreement.

JACUSTOMER-uebqv0cd- :

Also, the increased amount they charged me didn't reflect the accurate readings, when given an up to date reading they were actually owing me money back.. if I hadn't already have carried out an indemnity with the bank. The woman I spoke to who I was greatful to finally speak to after numerous people who didn't seem able to help me said that it looked as though they had based it on the previous tenants who used a very high level of electricity and gas.

Alex Watts :

So did you give previous meter readings, I can't tell?

Alex Watts :

Are you able to respond?