12826847

Hi. I have a guy who I have been doing a large electrical job

Hi. I have a guy who I have been doing a large electrical job for and he is refusing to pay the final bill. I am currently in the process of going through small claims however I am worried about the expenses the defendant may be able to claim if I loose the case. other trades are currently going down the same route as im not the only person hes doing it to so I think I have a straight forward case im just worried I could end up with large bill if I loose. what is your advice? thank Luke

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

How can I help with this please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How much is the amount roughly?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

just over £1600

That is a small claims court sum then.

Even if you lose at court you will only have to pay his fixed costs which will under £100. Even if he uses a solicitor he will only get fixed costs of £50.

The only time that actual costs can be awarded at the small claims court is if a person behaves vexatiously or unreasonably. Even then you can argue that a claim should have been struck out at the time of summary judgment so its very difficult to get costs.

Unless you are bringing an entirely unarguable claim, he is not going to get costs against you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no that's great. thank you very much for your help. luke

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/