Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

My mum gave me some money 7 years ago to help with my divorce,

My mum gave me some money 7 years ago to help with my divorce, my mum died in january and now my sister has taken over and wants me to pay her the money should I do it? I did nt ask for the money , in the will my sister and I are the benefisheries, hope you can help me, many thanks Ali
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

It appears to me that your Mum was just trying to be kind and this money was a gift.

From a legal point of view, if your sister is wishing this money to be "returned" to your Mum's Estate, she will need to prove that it was a loan as opposed to a gift. I doubt very much that she will be able to provide this evidence (by way of anything in writing or other evidence).

Therefore, if you were happy that this money was indeed a gift and there had been no talk or agreement to you return this money to your Mum, you are legally free to keep it.

I hope this assists and sets out the legal position.

Kind Regards
AL

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thankyou aston , it really upset me because I looked after my mum my sister never hax much to do with her, I m still tryinv to come to terms with it all really, my sister has taken over since my mums death she has all the bank sstatements photo s

Hi Ali,

Thanks for your reply. I know it must be a stressful time for you.

Please express to your sister that it was a gift and under no circumstances are you duty bound to "repay" it.

Best Wishes
AL

Hi Alison,

Can I assist you any further?

Kind Regards
AL