13262538

My daughter was adopted , when she was six now is 21 we have

Customer Question

My daughter was adopted , when she was six now is 21 we have been seeing her now for the past 5 years, I found out today by Facebook and I had to have this clarified by the police that she was found dead this morning she had hung herself , shouldn't I have been told by the police, instead of seeing this on Facebook and me having to phone the police , I only spoke to her 2 days ago , the police told me that the adopted parent were told this morning, they know my name and her birth fathers name, shouldn't we have been told. Will I be able to have a say in her funeral

Thank you for your time
Marie sharp
My name is Clare and I am so very sorry for your terrible loss
Sadly you have no longer have a legal relationship with your daughter and accordingly you have no right to be informed I am afraid
Equally I am afraid that unless she has made a Will appointing you as her Executor you cannot insist on having a part in planning her funeral
I am so very sorry - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the above information, I am still aloud at her funeral aren't I
She was only in the care system until she was 18 , and the adoption team have told me this morning that she is now adult and no longer is responsibility over her , so they won't be dealing with her funeral, and because she is now an adult the adopted parent with also have no legal. Responsibility over her , their responsibility stopped when she turned 18, so who will decide the coroner ? Thank you for your time
Marie
If her adoptive parent does not wish to deal with the funeral but you are willing to do so then that is a matter for you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Clare

They can't stop me going can they now she is an adult.

Marie
No they cannot prevent you from attending the funeral
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Marie
You are welcome - and my sympathy at this devastating time