29905560

I went to a Range Store to buy a water feature advertised in

I went to a Range Store to buy a water feature advertised in store at a dicounted price of£187 00 when i asked staff to buy one they said it was out of stock. They then telephoned the nearest branch and they had three, i then went to this store to purchase this item then at the till they said it was £250 00 and that they could not discount this item and stores had there own promotions. I then went back to orignal store, they had taken down there promotion and price off this item. the basically said it was an error and they could not do anything about it i wasted a complete afternoon put on a wildgoose chase by there staff. They did offer me a £5 00 voucher an insult for all my trouble. Can i hold them to orinal price.

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Ben Jones :

I am afraid you have no legal rights to hold them to the original price. When a store advertises an item at a price, this is only considered 'an invitation to treat'. In layman's terms it means that the store is offering you the opportunity to purchase an item at a price but until you have agreed to purchase that item and have paid the money, there is no formal and legally binding contract in place. It is a myth that a store has to sell you an item at the advertised price and until you have formed a legally binding contract where you have offered to buy the item at a price and the store has accepted it by taking your money, no legal contract would be forced. Some stores may honour mispriced items out of good customer service, but they are not legally obliged to. So it is entirely possible and legal for a store to advertise an item for one price, then you pick it up and take it to the tills and ask to buy it for that price, for them to turn around and say it was mispriced and refuse to sell it to you for that price.

Customer:

I would of thought it is misrepressenting products and conning the puplic.

Ben Jones :

I am afraid it is not, it is a daily occurrence that a store will have mispriced goods for sale but the law is quite clear that they do not have to sell it to you at that price and until you have a binding contract in place, which is when they have accepted your offer to buy it and you have parted with your money, they can vary or correct the price if needed

Customer:

I feel totally conned buy this store. And for sending me on a wild goose chase. The staff should have warned me of varing prices before they sent me. i Lost a full saturday afternoon through there incompetance

Ben Jones :

I understand that but the legal position would not change in any way. Good customer service would dictate they offer you something but that is discretionary and legally you cannot really do anything to force them to sell you the item at the original price. I can only tell you what your actual position is, I cannot make things up to make this look better unfortunately

Ben Jones :

Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? Thanks