29905560

I bought a free skin product online and received it as

I bought a ' free ' skin product online and received it as planned. Much to my horror I have seen two amounts of £97.95 taken off my card by this company Stemologica and Beautemer .these amounts are the full price for these ' free 'products. It is only on receiving the order conformation that in the 'very ,very small print you find out it,s a free trial of 14 days and then the full charges will apply.
At no time is there any mention that the full charge for these products is £ 97.95 each/
.
I know by putting this very misleading info on the order receipt they have covered themselves but on contacting my bank have found out this company have ripped lots of people off buy this sly,confusing and immoral ploy.

I have had lots of back and forth correspondence from them over the last 24 hours.
They are now offering a partial refund as a gesture of good will f £60. The offer is on the proviso I drop my claim and action with the bank.They also say that they win 99% of compaints against them !!

Do I have any legal redress or am I stuffed.I will be passing all this on to the police.

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

If give out your card details that effectively gives the other side authorisation to use it to make recurrent payments. This is dangerous because it basically allows them to charge your card whenever they believe money is owed and they do not need your permission to do so. Your initial consent is sufficient.

Whilst 99% of companies will never abuse this and will only take money that is genuinely due, a small proportion use this loophole in a fraudulent manner. They often complicate matters even more by not providing any contact details which makes it very difficult to contact them to try and cancel the payments.

However, you are able to stop such continuous payments by contacting your bank, advising them you are withdrawing your authority and making a formal request for them to terminate these payments. This should hopefully resolve the ongoing issue of the payments being taken.

In relation to payments already taken, the bank may be able to issue a chargeback notice and try to claw this money back, but if that is not possible then you are only left with the option of taking legal action against the company that took the payments.

The police will not be interested in this as it is a civil matter so it is probably not worth contacting them.

Customer:

what about the offer of partial refund ? can they tell me I can only have it if I drop my cae aginst them

Ben Jones :

yes they can, but of course you do not have to accept it and can simply proceed with your claims regardless of what they have offered

Ben Jones :

Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? Thanks

Customer:

yes it answered my question all to well thanks.I just need to know the £30 charged on my card is a one off payment and not a monthly commitment as I have no wish to proceed with any more advice at this time !

Ben Jones :

yes it will be a one off payment

Customer:

Many thanks Ben have a good day !

Ben Jones :

Certainly will, you too and all the best

Customer:

am trying to send a good rating but my computer won,t comply !!!

Ben Jones :

sorry it's a bug at our end, we can process it manually later, thank you

Customer:

excellent

Ben Jones :

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX just close the chat whenever you wish