12826847

I have signed a Guarantor Agreement with a Letting

Customer Question

I have signed a Guarantor Agreement with a Letting Agency (for my Mother in Law). However, I was given very little notice to attend to sign this (literally five minutes by 'phone) and could not then seek any legal or other advice about the Agreement without my Mother in Law possibly losing her rental property. I feel very aggrieved that I was not given notice to attend to sign (or that I even had to sign an Agreement) or prior sight of the Agreement and that I was then placed in this impossible and pressured situation in which I felt I really had no choice. Primarily when I agreed to be guarantor my understanding was that I was confirming my Mother in Law could and would make regular payments on time, not that I would be in any way financially liable. I am now quite worried about this Agreement. Can I get out of it if I want to and how will this affect my Mother in Law? Any advice is appreciated - many thanks in advance... Mrs C L XXXXX

Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
How long is the lease you signed?
Does the guarantee have a definition of "guaranteed liabilities or obligations"?
AJ