12826847

I made a claim for PPI through a company 4 years ago and the

I made a claim for PPI through a company 4 years ago and the bank settled on £1.5k. I paid the PPI company 30% and the matter was closed. My bank wrote to me two weeks ago saying they had made a mistake and owed me a lot more. The PPI Company have come back to try and claim a further 30% on this even though this was not initiaited by them, but the bank reviewed the claim internally. Am I legally obliged to pay the PPI Company a further 30% of the new amount given that they have done nothing since 2010?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

How does the PPI company know about the additional amount of money?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Barclays Bank wrote to them to inform them as well as me I'm guessing. I'm appalled at Barclays for informing them since this is about my account and my finance. I haven't spoken to Barclays yet to ask them why they wrote to the PPI Company.

Whether you are liable to pay this or not really depends on the terms of the original agreement however I would not be volunteering money lightly you may want to tell them that you are of the opinion that they are not entitled to anything and ask them to prove on what basis they are entitled to more than they have already had, or you might want to simply tell them that they are getting nothing and take you to the Small Claims Court (which you will have to defend) or you can make them an offer of probably 10%/20% of what they are asking for to get rid of them.
If you are doing the latter, make sure that you send a cheque rather than simply make an offer. In the covering letter (which should be marked "without prejudice save as to costs") say that you are offering this sum in full and final settlement of all claims against you past, present and future and if they do not accept it they should return the cheque to you.
They are likely to cash the cheque rather than have the trouble of going to court.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Jo, that is helpful. I think I'll make them an offer of 10% of what they are asking and see what happens. I've asked them to send me the original contract document through the post so that I can consider what was agreed originally. I'll also contact Barclays and ask them why they sent information to the company 4 years after the original claim when no other correspondence has taken place.