13262538

I was divorced in dec 2013 can I change my name back to my

Customer Question

I was divorced in dec 2013 can I change my name back to my maiden name automatically or do I have to change it through deed pol?
Expert:  Matt Jones replied 3 years ago.

Matt Jones :

Hi I will try and help

Matt Jones :

In English law there is no actual mandatory need or requirement to change your name via deed poll. If you wish to be known as another name then you simply use that name and make yourself known to others. However for passport purposes and other legislative purposes the agencies often require a deed poll to prove a specific date your started using that name, so inevitably you will probably have to get a deed poll.

Matt Jones :

I hope this helps. If so please leave positive feedback so I get paid for my time. The question won't close and if you think of any follow up questions you can ask later

In fact you can use either your maiden name or your married name as you wish - or indeed continue to use both
You will NOT need a Change of Name deed as you are legally entitled to revert to your maiden name if you so wish - but you may be asked by the Bank to provide a copy of your Decree Absolute
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thankyou for your help. Could I use my decree absolute to get a new passport too?
Yes but they charge for changing the name!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My passport runs out next year anyway, so hopefully it will be ok to do that at the same time do you think? Also how easy is it to change my sons last name?
Yes that is perfect timing!
I am afraid you can only change your son's name with the agreement of his father - unless he is over 16 in which case it is his choice
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your help
You are most welcome
Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Just one more question do I go back to miss or do I use ms Now I'm divorced or when I use my maiden name again should it be miss or ms?
Again that is a personal decision - MS Miss or even Mrs!