13262538

My ex husband has a 40% charge on house! Divorce states its

My ex husband has a 40% charge on house! Divorce states its 40% at time of sale! I have remained in the property and have spent a considerable amout of money updating it over the yrs why should he benefit from this! He has made no contributions to mortgage over the yrs.
When was the Order made - and what work have you done on the property?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Order was made in 2003 since then house has had new kitchen landscaped garden gas central heating.

May I ask why you did that when you were aware of the provisions of the order
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Didn't really understand the order nieve springs to mind! He is now applying to courts to force sale of house in which he would receive about 50k! I still have the girls living with me 20 and 24 I know they r not dependents anymore and I know he is entitled to 40% all I ask is its less the money I have put in! Would the courts honour this?

How much has the work that you have had done increased the value of the property?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

By 10k at least the valuers recon.

So the amount in dispute is £4,000.
have you asked to be given credit for this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can 10k be considered? Dont want to waste my time going court if its a straight 40/60 split no matter how much money I have spent.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can 10k be considered? Dont want to waste my time going court if its a straight 40/60 split no matter how much money I have spent.asked who for credit?.

From what you have said the money that you invested has increased the value of the property by £10,000 so your argument is that you should receive £10,000 before the balance of the equity is divided 60/40 between you
The starting point is to try and negotiate this issue with your ex.
If that fails then you do need to think carefully before applying to the court I am afraid.
The fact is that what you will arguing about is £4,000 - that is the difference between what you will receive anyway and what you COULD receive if agreement was reached
The simple fact is that you made the investment AFTER the Order was made and the Court may well say that that was your choice
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details