Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

Is it true that somebody who is visiting me in the UK and staying

Is it true that somebody who is visiting me in the UK and staying at my address, coming from Russia needs £2900 to prove that they can financially look after themselves when here? And is there any way that I can guarantee him this money without actually sending it to him, similar to being the garantor for a bank loan etc.?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you.

How long is the person visiting you for? Is this person a relative?
What is the purpose of their trip?

AJ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello AJ, he will be visiting me for a month (or so). He is not a relation.. He is visiting me so that we can meet in person and I can show him this country as a visitor.

Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

For a general visitor visa for a Russian National for 3 months maximum, these are the eligibility requirements:
You can apply for a General Visitor visa if you’re:

1. 18 or over
2. Travelling to the UK for leisure (not work or study)
3. Able to support yourself for the duration of your trip
4. Not in transit to another country, except for Ireland, the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands
5. Able to pay for your return or onward journey.

As long as the person concerned fulfills these requirements and has a return ticket they will qualify. There is no mention of a financial amount but if required you maybe able to provide a letter saying that you will financially support this person for the duration of their stay.

https://www.gov.uk/general-visit-visa - this site details the eligibility. It does give bank statements or payslips as an example of evidence that is required to prove financial means but this is not an exhaustive list. If you check with the UK Border Agency they will also be able to tell you what they will accept from you to allow this individual a Visa.

I look forward to hearing from you.

AJ