29905560

I phoned my credit card company to stop a payment of £999.98

I phoned my credit card company to stop a payment of £999.98 as I realised this was going to take me well over my limit.When I phoned them no payment had been made and they advised me to contact the company who were Buckley and Henshaw.I could not get an answer on phone. all it would say is no one can answer your call please try again later.A half hour later I phoned back my credit card com as I was getting concerned only to discover they had authorised payment . this has taken me well over my limit.I have tried phoning B H all day but get the same message.I have also tried emailing them but recieved no reply.Why did my credit card company let me go over my limit.

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. This is nothing new unfortunately. It has been a very common issue with banks and credit cards where you are allowed to go over your limit and they would not automatically stop that. You have been given a limit but that does not mean that any transactions above it would be declined - some companies may do so, but not all and they also do not have to. It is your responsibility to ensure you do not go over the limit and if you do, then you could be penalised. The charges you may incur by doing so have been capped in recent years but you could still be penalised in other ways such as losing an interest free benefit, in addition to having a penalty fee

Customer:

So if I phoned my ccard company and ask them to not let me go over my limit they can ignore that.This doesn't seem fair

Ben Jones :

If there was no transaction to stop at the time, they cannot be asked to 'keep an eye' on your account to stop it from going over the limit, not unless they offered a dedicated service to stop you going over your limit, but as mentioned that is just an option which is not offered by all companies

Customer:

1. So if this is a scam I lose out and have to pay

Ben Jones :

If what is a scam?

Customer:

Buckley and Henshaw who have taken the money.I always thought that if this was the case credit card com. could get your money back

Ben Jones :

you are protected in that respect under the Consumer Credit Act, but that is unrelated to them allowing you to go over your limit

Customer:

Ok so if I could contact Buckley and Henshaw and canceled with them they should refund my money because there must be a cooling off period if this is genuin

Ben Jones :

Well whether there is a cooling period or not is a separate matter, it depends on the nature of the purchase and so on, this is dealt with by the Distance Selling Regulaitons

Customer:

Ok I have emailed them but have received no reply.No use phoning as all you get is no one can take your call and then get cut off.Do you think its worth seeking legal advice. I must have tried phoning 30 times

Ben Jones :

At this stage it is probably too early, also you can pursue any claim against them personally rather than involving lawyers. For now continue trying to contact them and raise as a dispute with the credit card if needed, only then consider formal legal options

Customer:

Ok thanks for your help

Ben Jones :

you are most welcome, all the best

Customer:

Ben Jones :

Could you please take a second to leave a positive rating for the advice I have provided as that is an important part of our process. Thank you and feel free to bookmark my profile for future help:

www.justanswer.com/law/expert-ben-jones/

Customer:

Keep trying to but so far it doesn't let me

Ben Jones :

its a but we sometimes get, you can just type it out here instead, thanks

Ben Jones :

but = bug

Customer:

Excellent service

Ben Jones :

thanks