How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 69268
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I ordered and received a "Trial" product for a relatively low

Resolved Question:

I ordered and received a "Trial" product for a relatively low price and was paid for on a bank debit card. It was soon followed by a further supply of the same product but for a ridiculously inflated price that was debitted against my bank account without authorisation - this was repeated another time before I became aware of the debits on my account. The bank was not very helpful when I rang them to find out what my options were.

What are my rights and what can I do about recovering this misappropriated money when the company hides behind a "Packing & Despatch Contracted" company and nobody answers the "Customer Service" phone number quoted on the Despatch Note?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Is thsi company UK based?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't know - I assumed that it was due to the GB£ charging and the advert appeared on a UK-based site.


The "Packing & Despatch Contracted" company is shown on the despatch note as "PPF Shipping Ltd" but a check on the postcode EH49 7YH shows that the name "Phytoscience Ltd" of Linlithgow.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Do you not have an address for them on the website?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No - it was a typical address-free advert on a UK-based site (I think it was the Groupon site but I can't be sure now - this all started in February 2014).

Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.

That is not good news I'm afraid.

If you cannot locate the company then you cannot sue them.

The bank are not liable as this is a not of their security measures failing.

I was hoping you had paid by credit card and then you would have identical rights against your credit card provider as you would have against the company.

You can report the matter to the police.

You could report the matter to the web hoster.

I suppose you could try to get a tracing agent o locate the persons behind this. If you can find them and they are Uk based then you can sue them here

To stop them taking any more, instruct the bank to close down their debit. If they will not do that then close down the account and open another.

You could try reporting it to the banks fraud department. They might say its not fraud because you did give them your account details but, on your account, it certainly is.

I'm very sorry but I can only give you truthful information.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 69268
Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice