12826847

My neighbours are making false allegations of anti social behaviour

Customer Question

My neighbours are making false allegations of anti social behaviour against my self and family members, I am a council Tennant they privately rent, allegations include banging at night, persistent arguing amongst others,even down to the ridiculous of burning money in garden!!, none of which are true. I have suggested to the council that they put in monitoring equipment so we can get to the truth,my question is, can they tamper with this in any way to make it sound like we have done it. Other neighbours have had problems with them also

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Anything can be tampered with. They won't do that anyway. They will tell them to keep a noise diary for 28 days and many people just give up then.

If that is sent back then they will do their own investigation and that can include noise monitoring. It is possible that they could tamper with it. There isn't much point in that. If they want to get you in trouble then they are most likely to create noise themselves and try to blame it upon you.

If you are concerned that they will do that then it would be better to suggest monitoring in your property not theirs.

Its quite unlikely that they will act upon their allegation alone. Councils are generally quite well aware that some people are vexatious accusers.