tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

Good evening What is the law in UK, for "Search agent" to

Good evening

What is the law in UK, for "Search agent" to introduce client to Estate Agent for purchase of High Value Property? Does law have any regulation regards XXXXX XXXXX introduction?

Can you guys provide me with template of contract which could be sign by agent?

I have provided clients to estate agent (so far client spend £4,250,000), and seems like I will not get anything from agency which my client got property (I have found him house)

Thank You
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 2 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hello, welcome to the website. My name isXXXXX can assist you with this.

tdlawyer :

There is no legal minimum or maximum applicable commissions involved in introductions to estate agents under English law.

tdlawyer :

Can you explain your issue a little more and then I can perhaps give a more specific answer?

Customer:

I am chauffeur by trade. I drive for very rich people, and they sometimes have unusal request. this time was to find them townhouse for purchase. I have spend few days to find ideal one, contacted few agents, view a lot. After find one, i have taking my client to estate agent in London, and introduce client to agent and property. they purchase straight away for £4,250,000. i have spoke to agent few times and he always said he will look after me.

tdlawyer :

Okay. The problem you have is that the assurance "you will be looked after" is incredibly vague.

tdlawyer :

It is difficult for a court to enforce that really.

Customer:

He promised that maybe will be 0.3-0.5% for me. But after all paperwork exchange and payment for house from my client, cant get agent to even speak to me.

tdlawyer :

Okay, so what determined whether it was 0.3 or 0.5?

Customer:

Have no idea, as manager said that whole agency have 2-2,5%, and as I don't work with them he will try to negotiate with main broker (agency is part of group) but think that minimum will be 0,3%.

Customer:

Past 7 days, nobody want to talk to me...

tdlawyer :

Okay. The Court could potentially award you 0.3%, being the lowest sum you were assured of getting for the work that you had undertaken, which was otherwise outside of the scope of any employment/self-employed contract.

tdlawyer :

You would have to show, and I think you probably can from the assurance of 0.3 - 0.5% fee, that there was an intention to contract with you legally and that you would have an enforceable promise in relation to the 0.3% fee.

Customer:

But do I have any chances in court without any contract, only verbal conversation?

Customer:

Where I can get hold of contract, which would could protect my fee's in future?

tdlawyer :

Verbal conversations are legally enforceable. It depends whether they deny the conversation, then it might come down to who the court believes, if there is nobody else who heard the agreement.

tdlawyer :

This is a kind of contract which is bespoke, as not many people are chauffeurs and also part-time estate agents! You'd be better off getting a short form of agreement drawn up for your particular circumstances. You can get a high street solicitor to do this for you for about £250 plus VAT I would have thought.

Customer:

Both people involve, are employed by agency..

Customer:

ok.

Customer:

Thank You.

tdlawyer :

You're welcome.

tdlawyer :

Can I ask whether you're happy with my service this evening?

Customer:

Yes, everything fine.

Customer:

if I need answer on completly different matter, regards XXXXX XXXXX do I have to log in again?

tdlawyer :

If you want to ask a new question, one of the experts will answer it separately for you.

tdlawyer :

tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience: 11 years experience of general practice.