How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 70516
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Our ex-tenant had (and has) a significant job being responsible

Resolved Question:

Our ex-tenant had (and has) a significant job being responsible for the maintenance of 40 taxis. He is self employed and earns £14.50 per hour, say £2436/month. He became extremely erratic in his rent payments (£430/month) and eventually left without notice leaving the house extremely filthy with two months of rent and water charges unpaid. I found him in his workplace and he told me he is staying with friends. He agreed with me in writing (unwitnessed) that he would surrender his deposit (£430- currently with the DPS) to me and pay off the amounts owing and £70 in respect of the cleaning bill (total £540.24) in three instalments at the ends of May, June and July respectively. However, he says he can't find his DPS Tenant's repayment number and has failed to pay the end-May instalment. He never tells the truth and never keeps to any undertaking he has made. The deposit problem is now with the DPS.What can I do about the rest?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Is he working ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes he is still working

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
If he is working then he is worth suing.

You can always issue against him here

for the instanding amounts that you are owed but send him a letter before action first warning him of your intention to do that. Sometimes that works, sometimes not but it costs a stamp.

Its cheap enough to issue against him and fairly quick now and you will win on these facts.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you