29905560

I have just signed a contract to have some wardrobes fitted

I have just signed a contract to have some wardrobes fitted but am having second thoughts and would like to cancel the order. I've paid a deposit of 33% but the manufacturing stage has not yet been started. Can I legally cancel the order?

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Ben Jones :

Was the contract signed in your own home, or did you make the order online or elsewhere?

Customer:

In my own home

Ben Jones :

When was that done?

Customer:

I think it was Thursday last week, 29th May

Ben Jones :

Were you issued with a contract for this order?

Customer:

I'm not sure it was a contract as such I think it was just details of the order but we did sign a couple of documents.

Ben Jones :

ok thanks let me get my response ready please

Customer:

OK

Ben Jones :

The relevant legislation that applies to your situation is the Cancellation of Contracts made in a Consumer's Home or Place of Work etc. Regulations 2008. According to these Regulations, if you purchase goods or services to the value of £35 or more and you do so as a result of a trader’s visit to your home, then you get automatic rights to cancel within 7 days of entering into the contract. Assuming that work for the goods or services has not started and you are still within the 7 day cancellation period, you may contact the trader and advise them that you wish to cancel and request a refund for the full deposit paid. If they refuse then you are able to take the matter further, either by contacting Trading Standards or taking the matter to the small claims court to get your money back.

Customer:

OK thank you

Ben Jones :

you are welcome, all the best

Customer:

Can I ask one quick question, what happens if I go beyond the 7 days...is the worst case scenario that they don't refund the deposit

Ben Jones :

yes but it depends how long you leave it. For example, if you leave it until the goods are fully ready and they have done all the work, they could pursue you for the full costs, but the earlier you tell them the less their losses would be meaning you would be paying less to cover these and it should just mean loss of the deposit

Customer:

OK that's what I thought. Again thanks for your help

Ben Jones :

No problem