13262538

Hi, I have 4 Children and I have already started paying

Customer Question

I have 4 Children and I have already started paying maintenance for 3 children except one child as she is 19 years of age now.
The children birth certificate states that I am the father however I would like to go through the courts to do a DNA test, as my relationship with the mother is extremely bad.
How much would the approx cost of a DNA Test through courts be and does this include solicitors cost and how long can this process take

John
What contact do you have with the children?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare,

I initially had contact with them through CAFCASS but last contact was in 2013 since then their has been no contact what so ever.

John

Have there been any court proceedings and how old are they?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes there were court proceedings from 2009 to 2013 regarding contact and residence order which was made in the mothers favour.

The children ages are 19, 16, 11 and 7 years of ages. I am also paying maintenance.

John

May I ask why you did not ask for DNA testing then?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Does a reason need to be given? Well my brother went through a divorce and he found out later on that 2 of the children were not his and he has advised me to do the same.

John

The Court will certainly wonder why you have only just decided to ask for a DNA test.
You will have to start using Family Mediation to ask your ex if she will agree to DNA testing
If (when) she refuses you will have to apply for a Specific Issue Order using the form here
http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/c100-eng.pdf
The fee is £215
You will then ask the Court for a DNA test at your expense
In general Terms each DNA test will cost £500 but this may be reduced as your sample and that of the mother need only be dealt with once
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will ask my solicitor to start the process of trying to persuade her for a DNA test. I do not see any reason why she would disagree unless the children are not mine. Initially I will want to carry out on the youngest 2 children then see the result so all in all I am looking at a cost of £1500.00 which includes solicitors cost am I right in saying this?

Also can the court refuse for a DNA not to be carried out?

John Clark

You may as well make the application yourself since using a solicitor will had at least another £1000 to that bill.
Your ex may well object simply out of annoyance
You can only make the application in respect of the younger two