tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

Hello, I rent a property which recently had a fire. The cause

Hello, I rent a property which recently had a fire. The cause of the fire was an appliance owned by the landlord. We do not have contents insurance but all of our contents have been badly damaged by smoke and fire. Are we able to claim against the landlord for the damage.
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hello, welcome to the website. My name isXXXXX can assist you with this.

tdlawyer :

Do you know whether this was a pure accident or whether the landlord was at fault here for some reason, e.g. not servicing the appliance.

Customer:

We think it was an accident. It was PAT tested earlier this year

tdlawyer :

Okay. Then it's unlikely the landlord is going to be liable. It's worth checking with the landlord whether he has insurance though, which might cover this.

Customer:

Would it not be covered by 3rd party damage

tdlawyer :

If there is a policy in place, it might be, and it's worth checking.

tdlawyer :

Usually though, this is what personal contents insurance is intended to cover.

Customer:

Yes indeed the items are not worth stealing but we did not think about fire. The only appliance on in the building was the fridge! We were thinking that perhaps buildings insurance covers the owner for other houses that may be damaged in say a fire as a 3rd party and therefore would cover 3rd party damage in this case. But judging from your response you have not come across this before?

tdlawyer :

It would cover the building, and other buildings from outside of the place where the fire started usually. Not normally is cover provided under a policy for the contents/applicances where it's a buildings insurance policy.

Customer:

Ok thank you for your help today. We will have to be extra nice to the landlord and next time get contents :-)

tdlawyer :

:) Yes, I think that's a sensible plan!

tdlawyer :

Can I ask whether you're happy with the service this evening?

Customer:

Yes thank you I will click on good service below.

tdlawyer :