12826847

Hi , I recently purchased a used car (value of £12k) from Renault

Hi , I recently purchased a used car (value of £12k) from Renault in Bristol. The car had a minor fault and the garage approved for me to have the repair carried out at my local Renault garage in Derby. The repair is now complete however Renault Derby will not release my car and will not allow me to pick it up until the repair bill has been paid by Renault Bristol . These are 2 different franchises and Derby require the payment over the phone to release the car , however Bristol say they cannot do this although they have made payment . Derby state they will not release the car until payment has cleared. The bill is for £220. Currently I am left without a car and have been now for 2 days and I have had to take the day off from work today due to no transport and also due to time trying to resolve this issue. Surely this issue is between the 2 garages and I should not be made to suffer the stress and anxiety this has caused me. Please advise ? .........Thanks Chris

What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am in urgent need of my vehicle , where do I stand in this situation ? Are Derby Renault obliged to keep hold of my vehicle ?

HI DID I MISS YOUR REPLY ?

I CLICKED ON A RESPONSE FROM A LADY DEALING WITH THIS BUT LOST

THE PAGE ?

Hi could you please respond ASAP ........thanks

The repairing garage is at liberty to hang onto the vehicle until the bill is paid. It is called a lien.

The fact that they may be two different franchises of the same manufacturer is not relevant. You say that Bristol have made payment (presumably over the telephone) so I am not certain what the problem is unless Derby do not trust Bristol and want to wait until the payment clears.

You could of course pay the bill and put it on a credit card and as soon as the payment has cleared ask Derby to refund you in there is no reason why they should not do that for speed however I appreciate that you may not want to do that and indeed, you should not have to do it but it will provide a quick resolution.

I think that Derby are being unnecessarily pedantic and it obviously does not bode well for your future relationship with them. This is an issue between the two garages offer practical purposes, taking them to court is not an option because of the amount of money involved and the time that would take.

I'm sorry if this is bad news.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok thanks

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/